Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Glamour

I found both of these recipes in a Glamour magazine that someone so kindly left behind for me on the airplane coming home from Cali for Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law made a fantastic green bean and cashew recipe last year for Thanksgiving and I saw both these recipes and have a huge bag of potatoes for $1.99. So I cooked both last night and was supremely impressed that they were delicious and healthy! I paired them with the premarinated salmon from Sam's Club (love it).

Coconut Green Beans

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbs. Canola oil
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. cashew pieces
  • 4 whole dried red chilies (I only put three in and it wasn't in the least bit spicey, so next time I will try 4).
  • 1 1/2 lbs. green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • Salt, to taste
Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to crackle, add cashews and chilies. Once the cashews are toasted, add green beans and stir. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add coconut and salt. Cook another 8 to 10 minutes while stirring. When green beans are cooked through but still crisp, remove from heat. Serves 4 to 6.

Roasted Potatoes
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 lbs. small new potatoes (I used regular Idaho and it was still yummy.)
  • 3 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary (I used 2/3 Tbsp. dried, still yummy.)
  • 1/8 tsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • Pinch of ground cayenne pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt, ground (I used regular salt.)
In a deep sacepan, cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to a boil and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the potatoes and, as soon as you can handle them, cut them into quarters. Lay the potatoes in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. (I cut them before I cooked them so they would cook faster.)Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together oil, rosemary, balsamic and cayenne. Toss potatoes in dressing, gently so you don't break the potatoes. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Serves 4 to 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment