Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tacos


from Deceptively Delicious

I am one of those cheap, nerds who checks out cookbooks from the library and I have checked out the above-mentioned several times because there are just too many to try. They are pretty labor intensive, but they get easier and she says herself that she doesn't cook like this every night. So I thought I'd share one of my favorites.

Tacos

from Deceptively Delicious

Ingredients

1 lb. lean ground sirloin or turkey

1 (14-oz.) can crushed tomatoes, with their juice

½ cup sweet potato, carrot, or butternut squash puree

½ (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning, with no MSG

1 package taco shells (18 shells)

½ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella or Cheddar cheese

TOPPINGS

Tomatoes

Corn

Sour cream

Romaine lettuce, thinly sliced crosswise

½ small avocado

Red pepper, finely sliced.

Preparation

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil. Add the meat, breaking it up with a spoon. Brown for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the tomatoes and their juice, vegetable puree, and seasoning mix. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the meat is no longer pink and the mixture begins to thicken, 10 to 15 minutes longer.

Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Fill the taco shells with the meat mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Stand the shells in a baking dish and bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes. Add your favorite toppings.

(Sorry for the format - I received the most amazing gift from my sister for my birthday - an apron and a binder cookbook organizing many of my favorite recipes! & this is the format we used to type them up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment