Tabbouleh with Chickpeas and Artichokes
- 2 cups bulgur wheat
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 pound dried chickpeas, cooked according to package directions
(or about 3 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Handful of basil leaves, chopped
- Handful of fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the chickpeas and transfer them to the mixing bowl with the cooled bulgur. Add the cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, and artichoke hearts.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the juice from the 2 lemons and the olive oil. Add the dressing to the bulgur and vegetable mixture. Add in the chopped herbs and toss all of the ingredients together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour prior to serving.