Saturday, July 17, 2010

German Pancakes with Buttermilk Syrup

I went for a run this morning and then made the girls some yummy German Pancakes with Leigh's buttermilk syrup. I love Saturdays. I don't have a cast iron skillet like most of the recipes called for so I thought that this recipe worked great for me because it uses 9 inch pie tins. I only cooked them for 20 minutes at 400 degrees and then 5 minutes at 350. My oven is a little temperamental. This recipe is from Smitten Kitchen. BTW Leigh-that buttermilk syrup is to die for! XO-Lisa





Buttermilk Syrup (Leigh Hansen)


1 cup buttermilk
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt buttermilk and butter together, add sugar, bring to a boil. TAKE OFF HEAT, add vanilla.

German Pancakes (Smitten Kitchen)

Yield 2 9-inch pancakes.

4 eggs
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup flour, sifted
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons soft butter

Heat oven to 400°F. Butter two 9-inch cake pans well. Put eggs in blender container, cover and process at “stir” until light yellow in color. Push “mix” button, remove cover and add remaining ingredients; process until smooth. Pour into prepared pans and bake 20 minutes; then reduce heat to 350°F and bake 10 minutes. Slide onto hot plates. Serve with lemon slices, powdered sugar and butter if you follow recipes to the letter, raspberry syrup if you’re my mom or maple syrup and fresh berries if you’re us.

No comments:

Post a Comment