Monday, July 26, 2010

Prize Winning Potato Salad


From the lovely Kaye Briggs. This is my momma's potato salad. I don't know that it has really won any awards, but it has been my summer go-to potluck side and I have been receiving compliments like crazy on it. I find this amusing considering the ingredients are super simple. Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs. new potatoes - cooked, peeled & cubed. (I like to chop my potatoes as tiny as possible for the salad).
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 4 Tbs. horseradish
  • 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1 bunch of green onions sliced thin
  • 8 hard cooked eggs 6-8 slices of bacon

You can top with sliced hard cooked eggs and paprika for presentation.

**I usually just cook however many potatoes I think I need to feed the number of people and add bacon, eggs, and onions accordingly. Also, lately I have been substituting or adding in Greek yogurt to the light mayo and light sour cream. So I do 1 part mayo, 1 part sour cream, 1 part greek yogurt and I eyeball the horseradish.

Smoky Potato Salad

I must confess I am definitely not one for making up recipes. I do add things into recipes, but never making it up. This one I "adapted" from Rachael Ray. She had it as a warm potato salad, which you just poured the the dressing over, but I made into the potato salad and added bacon and eggs like my mom's.

Ingredients
  • 1 large red bell pepper
  • 2 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 1/2 lbs. large red potatoes, scrubbed, chopped in cubes, and cooked (or just for however many people you are feeding again)
  • 4 hard cooked eggs, chopped
  • 4 strips of bacon, chopped
  • 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 can corn
  • 1/4 cup plain or Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 canned chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced to a paste, plus 1/2-1 tsp adobo sauce
  • 2 Tbs. chopped cilantro

Preparation

Rub pepper with oil and grill until charred. Toss potatoes with 1 Tbs. oil and salt.

In a small bowl, whisk together: yogurt, mayo, chipotle, adobo sauce, and salt.

Chop egg, bacon, cilatnro and red pepper. Add everything together and mix and toss.

**May also char corn in oil in pan over the stove to add more smoky flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment