I saw this on Food Network (Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee) and decided to give it a try. It is not a super sweet dessert and I have to say I have only had one other bread pudding that I have liked in the past. It isn't something I would make a ton, but wasn't heavy or too sweet and I liked it!
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk, cream, or combination
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 cups cinnamon bread, cubed (about 15 slices)
- 1 (20 1/2-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 packets apple cinnamon instant oatmeal (recommended: Quaker Oats)
- 1/2 cup ginger ale
- 1 package whipped topping mix (recommended: Dream Whip)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, rum extract, salt, and brown sugar. Stir in raisin bread, pie filling, raisins, and oatmeal packets until bread cubes are moist. Spray a 9 by 12-inch baking dish with the pan spray and pour the mixture into the dish. Set aside for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake pudding until it has risen, browned, and a knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 to 40 minutes.
For sauce: combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Serve bread with a dollop of sauce. Cover and chill until ready to use.