Friday, February 6, 2009

Baked Sesame Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce

I'm so excited to be a part of this blog!  I thought I would do my first post as my all time favorite recipe.  

My mom found this recipe years ago in a newspaper, so the source is vague.  When I was in high school I received a $2500.00 scholarship from Tyson Chicken in a contest (recipe didn't have to be original).  This is also the dish my mom would bribe my brother with if he brought a girl home. :0) This is great for entertaining but not great for the waistline. 

 I have included two great sides for this dish.  The chicken itself is super easy and takes awhile to cook so the other sides can be prepared while it is in the oven. 

-12 large halves of chicken breasts boned and skinned (I usually just prepare 6, but don't half anything except the chicken and butter.  I've found the batter sauce isn't deep enough if you do.)
-2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 T. water
2 T. soy sauce
***2 tsp salt
***1/4 tsp pepper
***1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sesame seeds
3/4 c. butter 

***I like to use Dixie Fry instead of the flour, salt, and pepper.  However, it is hard to find in some places.  The original recipe calls for flour but the Dixie Fry gives it extra flavor.  

Heat oven to 400.  Divide butter between two 9x13 baking dishes and melt in oven. (Only need 1 pan if halving). Blend eggs, water, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.  Dip Chicken into egg mixture then into flour (or Dixie Fry).  Sprinkle both sides with sesame seeds.  Arrange the chicken breasts in the baking dishes, turning to coat with butter.  Bake for 40-50 minutes.  Serve with Creamy Mushroom Sauce.  

CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE (I don't halve this)
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. plus 2 T. flour
2 (10 oz.) cans chicken broth
1 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. salt
white pepper
1/4 c. FRESH parsley, chopped
1 (4 oz.) can mushrooms but I HIGHLY recommend fresh chopped mushrooms.

Melt butter in medium saucepan.  Stir in flour.  Remove from heat; add chicken broth and stir until smooth.  Return to heat; cook and stir until thick.  Add cream, salt, and a pinch of white pepper, parsley, and mushrooms.  Serve hot over chicken breasts.  I also use it as a gravy over the potatoes.

RECOMMENDED SIDES

Mashed potatoes (boil with a couple cloves of garlic) Add sour cream when mashing.  Sauce goes great on these.

BACON CARROTS (Sounds weird, but I'm telling you these are the best carrots in the world.  I have SO many people compliment me on these).

-3 lbs. fresh carrots (I actually just buy the frozen ribbon carrots and you can't tell a difference).
-5 slices of bacon
-3/4 tsp. salt
-dash of pepper
1/4 c. snipped FRESH parsley

1.  Peel and slice carrots in med. saucepan.  Combine w/ 1/4 c. water and salt.  Cover and simmer five minutes.  Remove from heat and drain.  (OR USE FROZEN AND COOK IN MICROWAVE!)
2. Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp.  Remove bacon and drain.  SAVE DRIPPINGS.  Crumble bacon.  
3.  Pour 3 T. bacon grease (I know...horrible for you but SO good) over carrots.  Serve carrots with crumbled bacon and parsley.

Okay, I hope this all makes sense.  Let me know if you have questions.  :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment